Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Peter Rometti sings the Star Spangled Banner

I just heard about this on the morning radio show I listen to, and thought it was so cool that I looked it up on the internet. Here is what transpired...

June 30, 2007 was Disability Awareness Night at Fenway Park. Peter Rometti, a young man with autism, sang the Star Spangled Banner before the baseball game at the invitation of Horace Mann Educational Associates (HMEA) of Massachusetts, a nonprofit that serves children and adults who have disabilities. Halfway through the song, Rometti began giggling, or stuttering, perhaps laughing nervously. Initially the crowd cheered and clapped Rometti on, and then when it became apparent he might not complete the song, the fans sang with him as he composed himself and finished the song. The New England Sports Network later interviewed Rometti and described him as "moved" by the experience.

See the Video.

When I heard this on the radio this morning, I started to get tears in my eyes. I actually found this video at a random blog called Thingamababy from a father who writes a blog about his baby and being a dad. Blogs can be whatever you want them to be and I find diaries a fascinating look into people's minds. I find writing them a great release of the thoughts in my head, and I am willing to share for anyone who wants to read.

So, in the same post, there is another video, a public service message called Children See, Children Do. I was floored by this video. Thank you Thingamababy for opening my eyes. Here is an excerpt from the rest of the blog.

I assume you already generally treat people with love and respect. But what about the car in front of you that you saw traveling very slowly toward the stop sign and sluggishly responding as the line of cars ahead took turns proceeding through a 4-point intersection, and then you watched that slug of a driver sit at the the stop sign with no opposing traffic anywhere in sight for what had to be a whole 5 seconds, and then a few choice words shot from your mouth in extreme frustration as you realized your 3-year-old daughter was sitting in the backseat. Me. Yesterday.

If I can't handle a stop sign, how will I teach my children to face real challenges?

My point is a question for you: How do we convey to our children to live with hope, face challenges with strength and see a future that lays beyond today's troubles? Doesn't that require you to be at your best, and to start making changes in your own life the day you see your baby's wondrous eyes?

No comments: